Client - Willis Tower Watson
Industry - Banking, Financial Services and Insurance
About the Client
Willis Towers Watson (NASDAQ: WLTW) is a leading global risk management, insurance brokerage and advisory company. It serves customers from more than 140 countries, has 40,000 employees globally, and is a member of the Hedge Fund Standards Board. It was founded back in 1828 and is headquartered in London, England.
Products & Services
- Informatica to Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
- Upgrade OBI Applications from OBIA 18.104.22.168 to OBI Applications 22.214.171.124.2
Essential to the success of the project has been the speed and quality of the ETL conversion work, and Jade Global rapidly put governance processes in place to provide us with the visibility and conﬁdence as the project progressed. We look forward to working with the Jade Global team on other initiatives as this initial engagement has demonstrated their ability to deliver to schedule, budget and quality.
Director Enterprise Reporting, Willis Towers Watson
- Perform technical upgrade of Oracle Business Intelligence Applications (OBIA) from OBIA 126.96.36.199 to OBIA 188.8.131.52.2 to provide the technical foundation for supporting future needs.
- Migrate to a single ERP system with OBIA as the reporting platform.
Why Did Willis Towers Watson Want to Upgrade?
In early 2016, London-based Willis Group Holdings Plc. and Arlington, Virginia-based Towers Watson merged as equals to form Willis Towers Watson. As part of the three-year merger roadmap, it was decided to move the merged company onto the existing Towers Watson Oracle EBS system and utilize the OBIEE reporting platform. This platform was intended to form the technical base for future business enablement initiatives and merger strategies. In order to be a part of the current OBIA platform and to utilize the latest technology stack, Willis Towers Watson wanted to upgrade their existing OBIA version 184.108.40.206 to OBIA 220.127.116.11.2.
Project Time Crunch due to Scheduled Merger
While it was clear from the three-year roadmap that the project was a technical OBIA platform upgrade, Willis Towers Watson had time constraints due to the merger and business requirements. This upgrade involved conversion of 650 Informatica mappings into the latest technical stack in ODI. The upgrade was estimated to take a minimum of 12 to 13 months. However, the client needed a quick resolution as this amount of time would have delayed the scheduled merger.
Business Value Delivered
Willis Towers Watson approached Jade Global to help them resolve their predicament and migrate to OBIA with ODI 11g. Jade Global has an internal conversion tool called InfatoODI that was utilized in this project for migrating from Informatica to Oracle Data Integrator.
The InfatoODI tool processes enabled up to 80% automatic conversion of the existing customized mappings. This signiﬁcantly reduced the duration of the conversion from the estimated 12-13 months to 4 1/2 months. This ﬁt into the client’s merger plans.
To ensure smooth onboarding, Jade Global’s engagement teams trained Willis Towers Watson’s technical team on ODI. The primary training program included demos on ODI and the conversion process, sessions on ODI, and knowledge transfer on migration. Jade Global’s experts supported the technical team following deployment until the in-house technical team was comfortable with the newly adopted IT environment.
- The existing OBIA reporting environment was critical to ongoing business operations
- Time constraint to perform the OBIA upgrade due to the merger timeline
The Business Beneﬁts of Automating the Conversion Process with Jade Global’s InfatoODI Tool
The InfatoODI tool accelerated the entire migration process, reduced implementation time, and increased the speed of project execution by 63%. Jade’s Global Delivery Model (GDM) ensured on-time delivery for Fixed Price engagement in this project. The automated conversion helped reduce manual interventions leading to substantial saving in testing efforts. With the help of Jade Global’s InfatoODI tool, Willis Towers Watson’s strategic three-year merger plan was back on track and within budget. The new technical stack enhanced the OBIA functionality with newer modules and solidiﬁed the ODI investment as E-LT of choice for future integrations across a multitude of third-party platforms.
After the success of this project, Jade Global became Willis Towers Watson’s preferred partner to help achieve their long-term BI strategic initiatives.
- Implemented InfatoODI automated solution for migration and upgrade of OBIA reporting environment
- Enabled availability of newer modules that were implemented as a part of the latest versions of OBIA
- With Jade’s InfatoODI toolkit, the upgrade duration was decreased from 12 months to 4 1/2 months.
- The project established automated workﬂow; which reduced costs and risk, and increased the process quality by 90%
- With this toolkit in place, the testing efforts were reduced
- Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) investment as E-LT of choice for future integrations with third-party systems and Big data